Tuesday 13 August 2013

Monday Made It!


I've always wanted to link up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for a 'Monday Made It', but because I'm not super crafty I usually feel like my DIY projects will be embarrassed to be linked up with all the other wonderful made its. :) I'm sharing this one because it was super duper easy, and I know it could be a cheap-n-cheerful resource for other classrooms.


With a bread knife and some pool noodles, it didn't take me long to make a whole heap of these giant, soft beads! So far I've just used them during Discovery Play time and as part of our fine motor activities, but I've got plans to use them for patterning and addition/subtraction.  For lots of my kidlets threading these babies will be much more exciting than moving counters around, and because they will be laced together it will be easy to see and count each colour and the total.  (Don't you hate it when simple number stories aren't solved properly because a wriggly body has knocked a counter into hiding?)


I used 6 noodles in 2 different colours and some thin rope that I found in the storeroom (you could buy something similar quite cheaply from the hardware store). I taped a popstick to one end of each piece of rope to stop the beads sliding off and also popped a bit of tape on the loose end to stop the rope fraying.

There you have it folks, the easiest DIY ever!  Let me know if you found this idea useful. :)

Lauren


3 comments:

  1. I cut my pool noodles into 3 bigger pieces. Then they are great to use for batons or tag games. The person who's 'it' has the noodle. I bet your students LOVE stringing them together!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      I use them for games as well - the kids love to play 'Balloon Basketball' with a piece of pool noodle and a balloon. They're also great to cut lengthways and use for marble ramps. :)

      Lauren

      Delete
  2. Very cute idea! They would be perfect for playing for inside recess too!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by!