Thursday 3 April 2014

Read Alouds: Reminiscing and my favourites!

Today I broke out my all time favourite read aloud.  Of the hundreds (thousands, more likely!) of books I listened to at home, school and on 80's TV shows like Romper Room and Play School, this is the one I remember most clearly.  There used to be a presenter on Australian Play School who was known as Funny John, but his real name is John Hamblin.   He was absolutely hilarious, engaging and warm.  My memory of him reading this story is so vivid!  Have you heard of 'The Elephant and the Bad Baby'?


It's an old one, but when I read it today my kidlets were enthralled. The Elephant carries the Bad Baby all through the town, collecting up treats (without asking!) and and various store owners along the way.  When their journey (rumpeta, rumpeta, rumpeta!) finishes, the Elephant is very concerned that the Bad Baby never once said please!  Don't worry, it all ends happily when they have tea with the Bad Baby's mummy.  I don't read it as well as Funny John did, I'm sure, but I still try to make my voice sound just like his each time the Bad Baby says "Yes!" :)

It struck me as I was reading that if I remember this story so well many years later, my kidlets will be absorbing each story that I read to them and (hopefully!) being affected by them as much as I was.  Remembering the language, the expression, the repetitive patterns, the images....

If you're searching for a few new read alouds to share with your kidlets here's a few of my favourites:






If you don't know this book you might think this one is mean, so here's a page from inside so you get a better idea!


And the list could go on, and on, and on, and on....!  I read at least one story to my kidlets each day - more if I have time - and they love listening to and talking about all of them.  What are your favourite read alouds?  I'd love to have a few new ones to share with my class! :)

Lauren

3 comments:

  1. What a great post Lauren! I remember that story too and John. When I watched play school and Romper Room we still had black and white TV. I love Ugly Fish, I read it every year and it is requested frequently. It is a great book to discuss how colors affect feelings.

    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post, Lauren! I love so many of those books.... but there are a few I haven't read before so I know exactly what I'll be on the look out for these holidays! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Stef
    Miss Galvin Learns

    ReplyDelete
  3. My class loves the ugliest dog in the world & crocodile beat. I'll check out some of the others :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by!